Is it weird when Flight Centre calls you up to wish you happy birthday? Yes, it is.
It varies from province to province, but in general Canadian drinking water objectives are based on the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality, regularly updated by Health Canada. Although the document date says December 2010, Health Canada just published their revised guideline for fluoride. This 104 page document (they typically are in the order of 3-20 pages long) can be summarized as follows:
Keep doing what you’re doing.
Only 25 weeks to go!
Sometimes I wish that computers came with these giant robotic arms on them, that would activate and give users a hug when they need it. Some of the entries I’ve read recently seem so lonely, I wish that I could cheer them up.
As for me, I’m off to Portland for a bit; I’ll send post cards. I’ll be checking out some systems that, if they work out, could revolutionize the way we manage our drinking water supplies in Canada. So, for someone like me, or anyone who’s interested in the politics of water, this is something to be excited about.
- In short: Still got it.
No, wait. I haven’t played tennis since I was 12 years old, so this is more of a “What I re-learned about tennis” or “Things that didn’t happen when I played tennis as a kid but happen now”. Thanks to Yeeyee for getting me out there:
- Depth perception is wacky when trying to hit the ball. There were far too many times that I swung the racquet but the ball was on the other side of the court. This is a metaphor for something greater, I’m sure.
- Depth perception is still wacky when you hit the ball. The ball will go in the direction I want it to go, which is good because my opponent gets to run around a lot or not at all, depending on my mood. But I have no control as to how deep in the court the ball will go. No big deal, but I’m picky that way.
- I am wicked at the lob. They would go super high and always land just barely in, so watch out.
- I can play with up to 6 balls in my pockets and four balls in my hands.
- While being completely incapable of finding decent parking, I have a gift for finding the one unoccupied court on a very busy, beautiful day.
Warning: the following is bitter and angry, but really, how else am I supposed to feel? Last year in May, a Turkish flotilla was travelling to Gaza to bring the population, suffering under crippling sanctions, relief aid. Israel commandos then boarded the ship in international waters and murdered 9 civilians.